Hemmed in and protected by a rock face, the villa is built on a promontory of Beaulieu-sur-Mer, the seaside village minutes from Monaco. Built in the early 1900s by
famous French archaeologist
Théodore Reinach, Villa Kérylos resembles an ancient Greek villa. Authentic techniques and precious materials were used to create lavish
mosaics, frescoes, and inlaid furniture. There are also numerous original Greek ornaments, and a new antique sculpture gallery.
Madame Reinach was a cousin of Monsieur Ephrussi, who was married to Béatrice de Rothschild, hence the location of Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild at nearby Cap Ferrat. The Greek-style property was gifted to the Institut de France in 1928, and is now a museum open to the public.
Back to top